Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A Brief Interlude on Reality...

Mr. Rushdie discussed during both the master class and the lecture the fact that readers and journalists are unwilling to let fiction be fictional. They always call out for textual loci and physical places in the "real world". This made me think of a Patton Oswalt routine on reality tv. This is a complete digression from the class topic, but then again, I can just claim I'm an oral storyteller and digression and diversion are my birthright!

I couldn't find the transcript for this special which aired on HBO in 1999, so what I place here is a paraphrasement from memory. Wish me luck:

"There's no reality left anymore, we've filmed it all! Everything is getting big and dramatic. Pretty soon there gonna start adding ninjas to the reality shows and big explosions and stuff to keep the audience interested. After that people are gonna go to the movies to relax. Pretty soon we're gonna start swinging back the other way and there will be shows like "Man Eats Breakfast". And then all the snotty indie film kids will be like 'that's not reality, where are all the ninjas and explosions and stuff!'"

And all because people aren't willing to let fiction be fiction and just enjoy it... Sad times ahead...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home