Thursday, April 21, 2005

Jabberwocky

I struggled, big time, with what to do for the paper in this class. It needed to be entertaining- to me at least- and informative. I couldn't decide on anything. Finally I started going through my books and remembered I had always intended to memorize Jabberwocky.

Not only that, but the poem, upon closer examination, is an eminently oral text. Doing research, I even discocvered that Carroll originally concieved of the poem as a faux fragment of Anglo-Saxon Poetry. How perfect.

Alliteration, onomatopoeia, kennings, preformance, portmanteaus, hypertextuality: it's all there baby! The paper seem to come pretty easily, though I don't know HOW I'm gonna present it.

As Alice said "It seems to fill me with ideas. ONly I'm not quite sure what they are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home